Job Listing: Kickboxing Instructor
Who we are
Our mission is to empower our students, and our community, through martial arts. We train to become physically fit, spiritually grounded people in an environment where we work as a team to achieve our individual goals. By raising up our training partners, we create a culture of community empowerment.
Our student base is 75% female. We are a feminist dojo and we do not tolerate sexism, racism, or homophobia. All students deserve a safe training space, an equal opportunity to learn, and to be treated with respect.
We’re looking for the best candidate available for this position. This is not a freelance opportunity, we’ll be hiring you as an employee in a growing, professional martial arts organization. You will receive competitive pay (based on experience), ongoing teacher training, and certification within our proprietary Kickboxing Ryoku system.
Pay is hourly, and the position will begin as part-time (approximately ten hours per week). Growth opportunities and additional hours will be available as you are integrated into our schedule.
What We’re Looking For
We’re looking for an experienced instructor who is excited and passionate about introducing adults and teens to the martial arts, but is also capable of working with intermediate and advanced skilled students. A successful candidate will be able to work within our existing training system, and adapt their own knowledge and experience to the specific material we teach.
Personal & Professional Qualifications:
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, especially with managing student/teacher interactions and setting boundaries.
- Self-motivated, and able to fulfill objectives without needing to be micromanaged.
- Ability to receive feedback and continue learning and growing as a teacher.
Required Martial Arts Qualifications:
- Minimum 3 years of kickboxing training (Muay Thai or Dutch-style kickboxing), 5+ years preferred.
- Excellent pad-holding skills (Thai pads, focus mitts, suitcase and belly pad).
- Minimum 1 year of teaching or training experience (any field), 3 years preferred.
- Evening availability is mandatory, daytime preferred. Primary teaching day will be Thursday.
Optional Martial Arts Qualifications:
- Amateur or professional fighting background (kickboxing, Muay Thai, or MMA).
- Black belt in classical karate (Okinawan, Japanese, or Korean – not Kung Fu).
- Grappling experience (BJJ, submission wrestling), especially at a teaching or competitive level.
- Personal training certification or comparable experience.
How to Apply
Please read the full job description before applying. Qualified candidates may apply to firstname.lastname@example.org with an updated resume and answers to the following questions:
- What is your martial arts training history (which styles, how long, where did you learn)? How committed was your training? Please explain any teaching experience or competitive background.
- What do you enjoy about being a teacher?
- What does being a martial artist mean to you?
- What days and hours are you available?
Thank you for your interest. I look forward to hearing from you.
Owner & Head Instructor,
Fighting Chance Seattle